Thursday, June 10, 2021

Cyber safety for Avy and all the kids

Now that Avy is growing up and stepping to a bigger class every year, he is also being exposed to the internet. Like we all know, as concerned parents, the internet is a hub of information and entertainment. So Avy is very much attracted towards it, and the covid pandemic was like an icing on the cake. Last year’s school was completely online and during the learning process, he also accessed loads of websites. Most of them were educational while few were just vain. Avyaya got through various gaming sites, various gaming YouTube channels and so on. He had such a wonderful time. BUT, it was my time to put myself on alert mode. Various questions popped into my mind. What sites is he watching? Are they virus proof? Can these sites hack my computer? I got worried. And then I thought, rather than being super strict and running around with the binoculars in my hand it's better to teach Avyaya about cyber safety. SO one day I sat with him and explained few things. •He should not enter any personal information into websites. Even if he is required to fill the form he should call me and if I find that form is not appropriate for him. I explain it to him and after a couple of questions from his side, we decide we will not fill any such form. •Avy should not post anything on the internet without my knowledge. He should take either mine or his dad's permission. Most of the time kids don't realize what info we can give on the net and which we cannot. So it's our job to make them understand. For example family pictures or locations should not be shared anywhere... they should always be given on password-protected sites. • I have told Avyaya not to do anything if he fined anything suspicious or he is not supposed to download any attachment unless we approve. Private chats are absolutely no-no. Even with their close friends. We parents should know what our kids are talking about. And with whom are they chatting. Last but not the least, chatting with strangers while playing games are strictly not allowed as we don't know who he is chatting with. These are just basics which we have told Avyaya also told him the repercussions if we don't follow these safety guidelines. Of course, he understands and follows them, but that doesn't mean I don't keep a watch on his activities. As a mother, I am super-duper cautious!!!

1 comment:

  1. That's one learning that every kid needs especially during these times!

    ReplyDelete